The Government Benefits Program created a program where qualified individuals may apply to obtain a free cell phone. Lifeline is available to provide free cell phones and free minutes to Ohio’s residents.
Ohio residents have a number of Lifeline providers to choose from. You can call several of them and see what types of phones they offer, and ask about texting charges and rollover minutes — the plans may differ slightly.
There is also information there to apply for cheap Internet service.
You are eligible if you receive benefits from any of these programs in Ohio:
- Section 8/Federal Public Housing Assistance
- Food Stamps
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
- Free National School Lunch Program (NSL)
- General Assistance/Disability Assistance
- Home Energy Assistance (HEAP)
- Supplemental Security Disability Income (SSDI)
- Ohio Works First or Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)
You may also qualify if your Total Household Income is at or under 150% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines.